Getting Your Restaurant Ready: What Permits Do You Need?

Planning for a restaurant is time consuming enough, but when it comes time to get the proper permits, it is important that you plan well ahead to prevent any potential delays. There are a plethora of permits needed for a restaurant in Boston, so knowing ahead of time what you need to obtain will save a lot of headaches later on.

What Permits Does a Restaurant Actually Need?

When coming up with a list of permits needed for a restaurant, it is important to have all of the essentials covered. Keep these Boston restaurant permits in mind for any restaurant you are looking to establish:

  • Common Victualler License: Any establishment serving food must have one of these.
  • Food Service Health Permit: Include your Certificate of Inspection, Certificate of Occupancy, Food Safety Manager Certificate, Federal Tax ID, and Workers’ Compensation Insurance information with this application.
  • Alcoholic Beverage License: This can be the most difficult and by far the most expensive to obtain as the numbers are limited by area.
  • Site Cleanliness License: You must have a cleanliness plan in place before obtaining this license.
  • Dumpster Placement Permit: If using a dumpster larger than three cubic yards, there are additional requirements for this.

In addition to these permits, it is also important to know that certain specialized restaurants may need additional permits. This could include a permit for live entertainment, a pool table, valet parking, or a variety of other structures or activities. When in doubt, consult with the city of Boston permit guidelines.

Keep the Process in Mind

If you have worked in the business sphere before, you understand that government processes often take much more time than might seem necessary. After filling out what seems like the same paperwork over and over again, you have to submit everything to the proper filing authorities and then pay all of the appropriate fees. Obtaining all of the necessary Boston restaurant permits may seem like more trouble than it is worth, but if you want to have your business run unimpeded, it is important that everything be filled out properly and filed on time. Figure in delays when you are applying for these permits, and remember that any permitting process takes time and patience. When it comes time to submit the licensing paperwork for your new restaurant and you wish to seek out the best professional advisors to help establish your new business, contact Mark Bressler of Sassoon & Cymrot for individual guidance and consultation.

We're Excited to Announce!

Sassoon Cymrot Law and Grossman & Associates have joined together into one firm under the Sassoon Cymrot Law name effective May 1, 2021.